Monday, August 1, 2011

Comfrey leaves



Many of my friends tell me, "You should have a blog". I reply, "Well, I would if I had time". Meanwhile, as the days pass in the garden, I find myself frequently thinking, "Oh, this would be fun to share", so here I am, blogging!
Today I am sharing the harvest of Comfrey leaves, (one of many), which I cut from the main plant, and then lay out and/or hang to dry. The hot dry climate of Colorado is perfect for quick drying of the Comfrey and many other herbs. Always dry herbs in a warm, dry place, out of any direct sunlight. When the leaves are crisp and make a crunchy sound when squeezed, I know they are fully dry, ready to be cut or broken into small pieces and then I store them in an airtight jar in a cool dark place. The drying process usually takes about 4 or 5 days.
This is a fun project to have help from the kids because the leaves can be laid out on a table in many different, creative patterns. I dry leaves flat and others I hang on a clothes drying rack.


Comfrey leaves are spongy and contain many healing constituents such as allantoin, a nitrogenous crystalline substance, which is a cell proliferant- meaning it encourages rapid cell growth and the speed at which a wound heals. I use it in the preparation of my Tulipan Calendula Salve which is great for soothing cuts, scrapes, burns, insect bites, inflammation, bruises, chapped cheeks, lips, cuticles, cracked heals, and more.

A close look at the leaf can give you an indication of what it is good for. When I look at the leaf I see many interconnected cells, with strong walls, and firm stems, in a beautiful pattern. Check out its 'Doctrine of Signature'' in the photos.
See you tomorrow for another day in the garden. Garden is most always a verb.

No comments:

Post a Comment